Matt's Peanut Butter Cake with Chocolate Peanut Butter Frosting
- 1/3 cup butter softened
- 2 1/4 cups cake flour sifted before measuring
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cream butter until light and fluffy. Sift in flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add peanut butter and 2/3 cup of the milk. Mix until flour is well moistened. Beat for 2 minutes on low speed of electric hand-held mixer. Beat in remaining 1/3 cup of milk, the eggs, and vanilla. Beat for 2 minutes. Grease and flour two 9-inch layer cake pans; pour batter into the pans. Bake at 375° for about 25 minutes, or until a wooden pick or cake tester inserted in center comes out clean. Cool, carefully remove from pans, frost, and assemble layers.
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Frosting:1/2 cup peanut butter 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa 2 3/4 cups sifted powdered sugar 1/4 teaspoon salt 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1/2 cup half-and-half or evaporated milk.Cream together the peanut butter and cocoa. Add the sifted powdered sugar, salt, and vanilla, and about 1/2 cup of cream. Beat until smooth, adding a little more cream for a good spreading consistency, if necessary.